Re: Safe copy and paste with scripts

Paul Libbrecht wrote:
> Why is this an issue to prevent this ?
> Accessiblity ?
> After all, the provider of the page is the provider of the script... or ?

Yes, we're assuming that the page and the script comes from the same
provider. However, we do not want to give the page tools that can ruin
the browser users experience too much.

A classical example of this is popups. Here the author was given a tool
that, while often useful, ended up being abused so much that browsers
simply started to disable the feature. Browser implementors had to (and
still do) work very hard on disabling the feature in such a way that it
didn't break existing pages. And it still in many cases broke existing
pages while in many other pages didn't disable the feature well enough.

I'd rather not go down that path again.

/ Jonas