Re: Selectors API naming

Hi Maciej,

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Short Names For Common Idioms
> ---------------------------------------

> Some examples:
>
> Consider if in C++, the end of statement token was not the brief but
> arbitrary ";", but the far more explicit "end_of_statement". Reading
> code like this:
>
> int x = get_value() end_of_statement
> int y = x + 3 end_of_statement
> printf("%d\n", y) end_of_statement

[...]

You talk about common idioms, but all your example are about the
language, not about APIs. I think designing languages and API are
different matters. Indeed a language is the base of your development,
once chosen for a project, nobody will compete here and you will have no
conflict and also a very limited set of keywords to remember. APIs are
different, you have tons of them for given language, and they must be as
descriptive a possible to ease their use. To sum up, I agree with you
when it comes to languages, I disagree for APIs and we are doing APIs
not languages...

> - "Microsoft representatives endorse a longer name" -- I don't think
> Microsoft's track record in design of web APIs for JavaScript justifies
> treating them as an authority.

Please do not forget that DOM APIs are not used only in JavaScript. Java
developers do use them and Microsoft .NET developers too.

--
Christophe