Re: Routing and behavioural norms?

Hi Stefano,

Thanks for the interesting links, and best of luck with your paper! Robot forklifts are rather different from slime agents in respect to the complexity of the actions they are tasked to perform, so I am not sure how much they have in common from a technical perspective.  One of the challenges for forklifts is to decide whether and how to respond to requests for service, or whether they need to recharge their batteries by visiting a wireless charging station.  Requests are broadcast, and may be limited to agents within a limited distance. Message passing is thus one-to-one or one-to-many on a named topic.  Another example relates to collision avoidance. Mobile agents transmit information on their course and speed to other agents in their neighbourhood, analogous to the FLARM system for gliders and light aircraft, thus allowing agents to change course and/or speed to avoid collisions.

p.s. I was part of the Dagstuhl behavioural norms working group, and am now hoping to apply what we discussed to enabling agents to learn behavioural norms. For this I envisage message passing as above, as well as pheromone traces. I have had to rethink my approach after realising that A-star on a grid wasn’t going to be a satisfactory solution. I now want to use a more human-like approach that should be more computationally efficient as well as allowing for richer behaviours.

Best regards,
Dave

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>