Re: Security review of High Resolution Time 2

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 16:05, Philippe Le Hégaret <plh@w3.org> wrote:
> The security section was substantially revised to mitigate threats, to
> revise the clock resolution and drift (see also
> https://github.com/w3c/hr-time/issues/56).

To compare the old version to the new; which documents should we
compare?  https://www.w3.org/TR/hr-time/#sec-privacy-security and
https://w3c.github.io/hr-time/#sec-privacy-security seem to be the
same...

Obviously the big elephant in the room is "What level of precision
should the spec specify" and it seems to have largely punted on this.
There seems to be one lingering reference to "5 microseconds".
Otherwise AFAICT it says 'sub-millisecond' and does not acknowledge
that fact that most browsers are holding it at 1 millisecond.

(Something I have encountered which is not really an issue with this
spec, but with others, is that other performance objects do _not_ have
the same cautionary notes about accuracy, and expose timers that are
even more precise than 5-microseconds.)

-tom