Re: Handling multiple headers when only one is allowed

On 16 Dec 2009, at 21:55, Michal Zalewski wrote:

>> It would seem to me that using the first header would be slightly safer
>
> To provide some context based on off-list discussions - probably the
> most common example of a HTTP header splitting vulnerability is
> newline injection through user-controlled "Location" header; a close
> second would be newlines in user-specified file names in
> "Content-Disposition".

(As an aside, one can play fun games with the same idea in e-mail -- the precedence problem applies to just about any specification that uses MIME.)

> I also suspect it may be difficult to get HTTP specs to specify
> precedence at any point in the future, as they tend not to focus on
> such earthly things;

Well, the HTTPbis Working Group might be a better place for that particular discussion than the HTML WG.  Mark?