Re: The Origin header (was Re: HTTPbis and the Same Origin Policy)

On Dec 3, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Adam Barth wrote:

> Changing the subject line since this appears to be a new topic.
>
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
> wrote:
>> Is the "Origin" header generally agreed to be both necessary
>> and sufficient for same-origin-policy work to proceed?
>
> I'm not sure the Origin header is either necessary or sufficient.  The
> same-origin policy is much larger and more extensive than a single
> header.
>
>> Right now, HTML 5 continues to refer to the Origin header as
>> supporting the same-origin policy, and it seemed to me that
>> there was still some disagreement about whether it should
>> be retained.

The Origin header as used in HTML5 is at best tangentially related to
the same-origin policy. It does depend on the origin notion, but it
has a different purpose. Same-origin is about preventing Cross-Site
Scripting (XSS) attacks. Origin (as used in HTML5) primarily helps to
mitigate Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF) attacks. Same-origin policy
is about preventing actions on the client side. Origin is about
labeling requests to allow the server to optionally use that
information.

- Maciej