Re: If MS pulls plug-in support, who do I sue

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jake Robb" <jakerobb@mac.com>
To: "W3C Public Web Plugins List" <public-web-plugins@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2003 12:32 PM
Subject: Re: If MS pulls plug-in support, who do I sue

> I was discussing the patent with a friend of mine last night (one of the
> smartest people I've ever met).
>
> I mentioned the catch-22 MS is in: if they argue that software patents
need
> revision, and win, several of their own patents will likely be voided, and
> they'll be prevented from patenting several things they might otherwise
> patent in the future.  My friend argued that this isn't a problem.

I agree with you.  I discussed this quagmire a few times here myself.

Your friend does raise a good point.  However, in my view, that was 100%
TRUE before the 1996 relaxation of Software Patent Guidelines and Unix/linux
making a run at it.

First,  this patent is among the new breed of patents and prime example of
how it is possible to "lower" Microsoft market dominance and how someone
else can dictate part of the future market "real estate" that Microsoft
currently owns right now and wishes to continue to own.

Second,  the growth of Unix suffers because Window developers such as myself
don't need it to make money.   The Windows market is big.  That's were the
money is at.    Once the Unix markets reaches a certain point (which
probably means getting a high customer request for "Unix versions"),  then
that is when the consideration will be made.     Many developers fall in the
same boat.  Of course, those who do both are in a good position, but at the
same time, many will tell you where most of the revenue is coming from.

However, what Unix/linux has finally bring to the table and doing better job
at each day, is making it known that they is an alternative solution for
developers.  This mindset is growing and working,  and they need keep
pounding it in. Don't give up Linux/Unix vendors!

What this does is put Microsoft on notice:

    "You can't change the Windows standards every two years!"

In 1993, I once heard Gates during a local Seattle news station interview
gearing up to the next day Developers conference when asked:

    "How do you keep ahead of competitors? how do you keep them at bay?"

His answer?

    "Change the standards every two years!  This helps keep our competitors
a step or two behind."

I was flabbergasted and shocked by his arrogant remark.  But he was right.
One of the problems with Windows development is that you are always a step
behind and when you do catch up, BAM!  something new is done, a new way of
doing things is introduced.

So  in my opinion, if there is good thing about Unix, Java and the internet
in general, it is that it has helped put a damper to Microsoft's
continuation of changing development methods.

As a result?

Microsoft is still trying to mold, define and control the mindset of
developers and next generation of Development Methods with an exclusive
Window .NET.

However, this time, I'm not jumping so fast.

Sincerely,

Hector Santos, CTO
Santronics Software, Inc.
http://www.santronics.com