Re: Microsoft benefits a lot by loosing (?)

Yes.  I certainly agree with the reasons you sight for Java's
unpopularity (surely on the applet side.)  Jake also mentioned it's
complexity, which is very valid also (I'm fluent with C++, so I'm not
whining, but for the web, there are much simpler ways.)

That is why it would be really, really interesting to see some good work
by W3C on "Javascript."  It does  not need to be complicated at all.
Scripting languages are not, at all, even hard to implement.  Just look
at the many choices out there: Tcl, Perl, Python.  Certainly, to merely
standardize Javascript, and add a few essentials like file and network
access, is very easy for W3C to do.  And the GUI is just DOM.  Too
easy!  And all of us benefit if we do it.

--
Reza.

--
Reza