RE: If MS pulls plug-in support, who do I sue

I don't think you can sue anyone.  The only grounds that I can think of
is if Microsoft explicitly represented that Internet Explorer had no
patent liabilities.  I've never heard that claim being made.

In general, patents are a hazard of doing business.  So are competitors.
Microsoft is currently involved in 30 other patent lawsuits according to
press reports.

FWIW, the Eolas patent lawsuit was filed in Feb. 1999.  There has been a
good bit of press coverage over the suit for the past 4 1/2 years.
There was also a good bit of press coverage in 1995-6 when Eolas
announced they were applying for a patent on browser plugins and
applets.

There is no reason to think that ActiveX controls will completely
disappear from Internet Explorer.  My reading of claim #1 of the '906
patent says that a control must have a display area within a browser
window.  ActiveX controls which are display-free shouldn't have a
problem with the patent (INAL, YMMV, etc.).  Also, an ActiveX control
which opens up its own non-browser window should be fine also (INAL,
YMMV, etc.).

Richard