Re: Problems with IE 6.01 sp 1b

Chris Hinchey wrote:
> We have been attempting to use the suggested work-arounds and testing
> them with the beta that Microsoft has made available.  Unfortunately, we
> are finding that the results are inconsistent.

I posted a message about this to this list about 24 hours ago; however,
it does not appear in the list archives, so here it is again. But the
short summary is "yes, it's not working right for me either."

<snip>

As you all probably know, Microsoft just released a new test version of
IE which is "Eolas-compatible", along with advice as to how to modify
scripts and applet calls to avoid getting the "Press OK to continue
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate/
http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate/activexchanges.asp

This method involves document.write()ing the <applet> or <object> tag
from an external JS file.

I have put together a small test page which will do this for both Flash
and Java:
http://www.gerv.net/hacking/eolas/

I believe that I have followed the method given in the document released
by Microsoft (and Apple, Real and Macromedia.) I have loaded this page
in the version of IE downloaded from Microsoft's site.
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/7/b/a7b11561-95e3-4d94-b1b3-9135935bb9b5/IE6UPDv01.exe

One would expect no popups; however, the popups continue to appear. I
have tested it on a single Win2K machine and also a WinXP SP1 machine.

Can anyone else confirm that my test still produces popups? Is it a
problem with my test, or the new IE?

Gerv