RE: Potential Partial Solution

You raise some excellent points Christian,

Almost too many points to handle I fear.

> >What about a move in the "opposite" direction? And
> deliberately ignore the
> >ruling?
> >
> Ignorance is not an answer.

I agree, but my statement was more about defense than foregoing knowledge.
Maybe I should have used the word "boycott" instead?

> It starts with the deepest pockets.  Luckily many in the Open Source
> community see this and are with MS on this one. (Or at least
> that is my
> opinion from talking to people).  It is a good step by MS
> talking to the
> community and asking for opinions.

I sure hope the OSS crowd gets the message.

A brief look at www.slashdot.org on any given day just confirms for me that
the anti-Microsoft crowd will fail to see this point because of their
anti-vision (a.k.a. blindness), even after the Internet has been pulled out
from under them.

> I think in a way the patent issue is a good way of moving towards the
> semantec web with Web Services and all of the other nice and neat
> things.  There are plenty of neat things that could be implemented.

I agree completely. Since the Internet came along, and the beauty of it was
realized, many industries have learned that they needed to adapt to survive
- except the Patent Office.

Patent Offices wants to keep everybody in the stone age of industry.

If what Gandhi said is true, and I believe it is, that "You have to be the
change you want to see in the world" - then the Patent Office's view of the
world is a very frightening thing......

Scott Cadillac,
XML-Extranet - http://xmlx.ca
403-281-6090 - scott@xmlx.ca
Well-formed Development
--
Extranet solutions using C# .NET, Witango, MSIE and XML