Re: Potential Partial Solution

Jake Robb wrote:

>Christian and I just had an off-list discussion regarding his suggestion.  I
>am now under the impression that it was meant as a way to show the world
>(and more specifically, US lawmakers) that the current patent system needs
>work, and only as a poor solution to the actual plugin problem.
>
>His suggestion would effectively create two mutually exclusive and
>incompatible World Wide Webs.  I think we can all agree that it's not a good
>solution from that standpoint, but that was the point of the suggestion in
>the first place.

Exactly...  I lived through the years when cellular phones would not
work throughout the world.  I do not want to go back to that again.

>If you're asked to wash the dishes, and you don't like doing dishes, break
>some dishes.  The person asking you to wash the dishes may rethink the
>original decision that you should be the one washing dishes.

Exactly...  Put some pain into the situation and then very quickly
people will realize, oops this needs attention.  Where the industry
comes into play is that we agree ALL of us, Mozilla, Opera, Microsoft to
say "Hey we are only following the law"

My case in point is that with enough pressure by the industry EVEN
strong encryption was allowed...

Christian Gross