Re: NavigationTiming event for initial display

Hey,

Just wanted to share some thoughts here based on our measurement experience
at Facebook. While the FirstPaint and FirstContentfulPaint events are
interesting I don't think these reflect the actual loading times of
non-trivial applications. Many sites load their content incrementally and
these statistics are unlikely to capture just the right subset of content.

IMHO one of the problems to solve here is that it's impossible to know when
a specific manipulation to the DOM (such as inserting newsfeed) is actually
painted to the user. There are absolutely privacy considerations here wrt
the :visited css functionality. But I think it's possible to address a more
general problem here.

-b