Re: NavigationTiming event for initial display

Thanks for starting this discussion. This has been an area of interest
recently, and I believe there's a desire to expose display-oriented metrics
to the web platform. +Paul Irish <paulirish@google.com> has been working on
some possible display-oriented metrics and may be able to share more about
this.

We do currently expose a first paint timing
via chrome.loadTimes().firstPaintTime, however chrome.loadTimes() is an
old, non-standard API and we're hoping to standardize some paint/display
timing information and then deprecate chrome.loadTimes().

IIUC IE also exposes a similar performance.timing.msFirstPaint.

So there's no standard APIs available today, but I agree there should be.
Paul can share more about the thinking with progressive web metrics.