Re: Making sense of the various web performance specifications

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Todd Reifsteck <toddreif@microsoft.com>
wrote:

>  That is an interesting question.
>

> I tend to think of HR-TIME as a primitive that Performance Timeline and
> possibly other features build on so my first preference is to simply move
> it above performance-timeline on the dependency graph.
>

> Is there a downside to keeping them separate beyond having 2 specs for
> each new timing to depend on on?

They're tangled together. Practically speaking, you can't implement one
without the other:
- HR-time defines time origin and performance.now().. but that presumes
Performance interface exists.
- Perf Timeline, in turn, needs time origins and performance.now()

I guess we could keep definition of DOMHighResTimestamp in HR-time (its use
doesn't have to be limited to perf specs), but move definition of time
origin and performance.now into Perf Timeline. If we do that, then we'd
have a pretty clean separation (hr-time -> timeline -> [other specs]).

ig