Re: "Packing on the Web" -- performance use cases / implications

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 10:46:03 -0800
To: Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
Cc: Ilya Grigorik <igrigorik@google.com>, Mark Nottingham <mnotting@akamai.com>, Yoav Weiss <yoav@yoav.ws>, public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>, "www-tag@w3.org List" <www-tag@w3.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
On 15 January 2015 at 15:46, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com> wrote:
> Ilya and I had a chance to chat this afternoon and he had a brilliant idea:
> what if there were a preamble section that allowed the package to simply be
> a hint to UA to start fetching a list of (not-included) resources?

I like the idea, but I keep being told by people here that this whole
"packaging for the web" thing is not a performance feature, but a
usability one.  This rather emphatically establishes it as a
performance feature.

There seems to be a disconnect somewhere.  Maybe these are independent
directions to pursue.

(To preempt the risk of re-invention, here's a useful link:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6690  Don't let the context confuse
you.)