[server-timing] CDN use case

From: Nottingham, Mark <mnotting@akamai.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 02:17:13 +0000
To: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
The spec currently says in B.3:

"""
For example, a CDN edge node may want to report which data center was being used, if the resource was available in cache, and how long it took to retrieve the response from cache or from the origin server. Further, the same process may be repeated by other proxies, thus allowing full end-to-end visibility into how the request was routed and where the time was spent.
"""

I guess I'm kind of finding that hard to believe — the syntax of S-T is quite constrained, and it's not clear how this information would be visualised. Is this really a use case for S-T?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham    mnot@akamai.com    https://www.mnot.net/