[server-timing] header definition

From: Nottingham, Mark <mnotting@akamai.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 02:11:23 +0000
To: public-web-perf <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Hi,

<http://w3c.github.io/server-timing/> defines the Server-Timing header field as:

  Server-Timing = "Server-Timing" ":" metric  [ ";" description ]

HTTP says that a header that doesn't use the #rule for its ABNF isn't allowed to repeat; see <http://httpwg.github.io/specs/rfc7230.html#field.order>.

However, it's very clear from the examples that the intent for this header is to repeat. If our intent is to allow multiple headers for Server-Timing (a good idea, I think), we'll need to define it as comma-delimited.

We'll also need to register the header with IANA; including the template in the spec should work just fine.

For other things to think about when creating headers, see:
  http://httpwg.github.io/specs/rfc7231.html#considerations.for.new.header.fields

Generally speaking - I very strongly recommend we get some level of review from HTTP WG when we create new protocol elements.

Regards,

--
Mark Nottingham    mnot@akamai.com    https://www.mnot.net/