Re: communicating server timing data to the client.. Server Timing?

Bringing my comments from the gist to here:

I really like this proposal, but I do find keeping the values as durations
to be somewhat limiting. Just as we have performance marks and measures, I
feel that being able to provide both durations and timestamps to the client
would be useful.

A specific use case: On Firefox OS, it would be valuable to specify in this
header when the user initiated to open an application. The "home screen"
(acting as the server in this proposal) could specify in the header that at
a certain timestamp, the user tapped on an icon, and the application
(acting as the client) would then be able to make a more deterministic
evaluation for how long it actually took load. Drawback: not sure of the
implications of introducing timestamps or possible negative values into the
timeline of an application, but that is something we could discuss.

Thoughts?

Eli Perelman