From: Ilya Grigorik [mailto:igrigorik@google.com]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2014 10:18 AM
To: Ben Maurer
Cc: public-web-perf
Subject: Re: communicating server timing data to the client.. Server Timing?

Hmm, so the data center use case is fairly common. Interesting.

It's not clear to me what the best route is to tackle non-timing data... currently, all of our specs are surfacing timing events. A couple of routes:

1) Record non-timing data as timing events - e.g. pop=22 would be surfaced as a timing event with duration of 22ms... but, in reality, you'd be communicating that you used pop #22, which is something your application could know an process accordingly. Pro: simple, no spec or UA changes required. Con: we're polluting the timeline, which would become a problem once UA's start surfacing these events in their devtools, etc.

2) We extend timing events with some form of annotations [1]. Assuming that exists, you could annotate existing timing event(s) with relevant meta-data - e.g. cache=23;nyc --> { name: 'cache', duration: 23.0, meta: 'nyc' }, where 'nyc' is an arbitrary string that could, for example, be used to indicate the data center.

If we go down the route of adding annotations, it seems like it's something that should be available on all timing events. That said, I'd love to hear more use cases for it.

Thoughts / comments?

[1] https://github.com/w3c/performance-timeline/issues/2