W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-perf@w3.org > March 2014

[minutes] Web Performance WG Teleconference #123 2014-03-05

From: Tobin Titus <tobint@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2014 21:06:02 +0000
To: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>
Message-ID: <ed062687d7674516b099f06352dcc662@SN2PR03MB078.namprd03.prod.outlook.com>
Meeting Summary:



1.       Resource Priorities

There is a discussion in the WHATWG around loading and executing scripts, http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-whatwg-archive/2013Aug/0277.html, which we should review. Additionally, ECMAScript 6 folks are discussing similar script execution ideas that we may want to keep on our radar.



2.       Workshop

The working group is planning on holding another Workshop on Performance in mid-June in the Bay Area near the Velocity conference. Philippe is following on more details.





W3C Web Performance WG Teleconference #126 2014-03-05





IRC log: http://www.w3.org/2014/03/05-webperf-irc



Meeting Minutes: http://www.w3.org/2014/03/05-webperf-minutes.html



Attendees

Philippe Le Hegaret, Jatinder Mann, Tobin Titus, Puneet Sangal


Scribe

Tobin Titus



Agenda
1. Discuss Open Actions
2. Discuss Open Issues
3. Discuss Web Performance Guidance


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Minutes:
Open Actions

JatinderMann: Action item 73 looks like beacon - can we close

<plh> close action-73

<trackbot> Closed action-73.

<plh> action-97?

<trackbot> action-97 -- Tony Gentilcore to Check with Adam Barth on Memory Leak API -- due 2012-09-30 -- OPEN

<trackbot> http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/97

JatinderMann: Action Item 97. We've talked about this a number of times, but we likely should close this for now. We can come back to it later.

plh: There are some security issues here for now. I agree we should close.

close action-97

<trackbot> Closed action-97.

JatinderMann: This one keeps coming up. Should we close or open?

plh: We should likely lean toward keeping them open if we are not sure. We can follow up with the owner.

JatinderMann: You can switch between networks very rapidly (LTE, 3G, WiFi). You may check one network, but quickly end up on another network. Let's follow up with Alois.

plh: I agree. Let's check with Alois.

Puneet: Someone suggested that we should look at bytes transfered.

plh: Bytes transfered can change from one moment to the next as well. Maybe people should use information in resource timings.

JatinderMann: we talked about adding byte information to resource timing, but I don't think we've done that yet.
... Regarding Action 104: Resource Timing 1 doesn't include information for audio or video elements because they come down in chunks.

plh: Do we add XHR to resource timing? If so we should consider adding this.

JatinderMann: We do.

Jatinder: We should get this on the agenda at some point soon.

JatinderMann: Action 106. This one is on plh.

plh: I haven't done this yet.

JatinderMann: Action-111 onward are from TPAC
... Action-111: http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/111
... We decided to not have a limit and wait for implimentation. We should probably keep this open so we know it's still an issue.

plh: We could close the action and open an issue.

JatinderMann: Let's document that. Close the action item and open an issue.

plh: you can close the action item, I am looking at creating an issue.

close action-111

<trackbot> Closed action-111.

JatinderMann: Action-112: http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/112
... We should get it into a spec and get some more people looking at it for feedback.
... Let's keep it open until ig gets it into a spec. Let's assign this one to Ilya
... Action-113 should be done, but tobint will follow up to verify. http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/113

tobint: will do.

JatinderMann: Action-116. http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/116
... We might want a security review on this one. Can we do detailed error logging securely.
... Is there someone from w3c that we can loop in for a review?

plh: I have a name but I need to double check.

JatinderMann: Let's update the spec to do basic error logging and see if we can do detailed error logging later.
... Action item 117 http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/117
... Let's leave this one open.
... Action-118: http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/118
... plh will ping Mark tomorrow

plh: I'll do that tomorrow.

JatinderMann: Action-119: http://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/actions/119

JatdinerMann: This one is on tobin. We discussed this at TPAC.

JatinderMann: Action-120, 121, 122: Sounds like JavaScript injection thing.
... Let's ping Arvind on this. Tobin and I will follow up with Microsoft people.
... Action-123: That's on Arvind. We should ping him on that.
... Action-125: I think mark has already done this. We should take his proposal and update the spec.

<plh> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2013Dec/0090.html

plh: Agree.

JatinderMann: We should put this on tobin to get him to update the spec.
... We might want a little more clarification. What does SDPY return today. Perhaps some examples of what we want.

plh: I think we talked about this in the past.

JatinderMann: Yes. We did. We will look into this and get back to the wg.
... Action-126 still open - assign to tobin

plh: Didn't we agree to drop postpone and go after lazyload.
... I think that was what we discussed at TPAC

JatinderMann: I think you're right. We should review TPAC notes to verify.
... I think we said we should drop postpone for now and kill the CSS property.

plh: We should update the action item title to match

JatinderMann: We should open an action item to remove postpone from resource priorities.
... That brings us up to date on TPAC. Will likely want to open more action items.

<plh> https://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/agenda

<plh> close issue-8

<trackbot> Closed issue-8.

JatinderMann: We can likely close Issue-8

plh: Agreed.
... Close issue 10

JatinderMann: Agreed

close issue-10

<trackbot> Closed issue-10.

JatinderMann: Issue-11 should be closed

close issue-11

<trackbot> Closed issue-11.

plh: agreed
... Add DOM events with high res time to agenda for next week

<plh> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Performance/Publications

JatinderMann: we should do all of our work out of the action tracker: https://www.w3.org/2010/webperf/track/agenda

plh: Agreed.
... requestanimationframe need test cases to move spec from CR to PR

JatinderMann: We need to start a new push to get tests for these.
... we should probably send out a mail.

<plh> https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues?labels=wg-webperf

plh: Yes. Here is a link which is useful for us to help us track test needs: https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/issues?labels=wg-webperf
... Two of them are from Microsoft.

JatinderMann: once we get the tests, I think this can get us moved forward
Web Performance Guidance

plh: We should put a template together to allow us to build web performance guidance.

tobint: I'd love to help. I'm busy, as I'm sure others are, but am happy to help.

JatinderMann: I think it would be cool. Today we solve a bunch of problems and our APIs try to help solve a lot of these perf-related issues.
Received on Wednesday, 5 March 2014 21:06:33 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 6 January 2015 21:04:38 UTC