Re: is anyone looking at specifying something for background requests/downloads?

From: Tobie Langel <tobie@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2013 07:49:09 -0600
To: "William Chan (陈智昌)" <willchan@chromium.org>
Cc: "public-web-perf@w3.org" <public-web-perf@w3.org>, Alex Russell <slightlyoff@google.com>
+Alex

On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 at 1:23 PM, William Chan (陈智昌) wrote:
> * Downloading a large chunk of data in the background. Let the user agent know that if there's contention, this network request should yield to any interactive one. E.g. web apps can download their next version (which may be large).
So this particular use case seems already possible with ServiceWorkers[1] as an implementation-specific optimization.

That said, I think there are similar use cases that would not benefit from this optimization and would need a dedicated solution. For example, a newspaper web application might want to bulk download todays news overnight, so that the application has fresh content to display when it is visited by the user on his network-less commute the next morning. Bulk uploads (e.g. uploading pictures overnight while on the home Wifi network) have similar requirements. I don't think ServiceWorkers, in their current incarnation, would support that. Alex (Cc'ed) would know.

--tobie

---
[1]: https://github.com/slightlyoff/ServiceWorker