Re: Updates to Navigation Timing errata

On 5/14/13 1:13 PM, "Arvind Jain" <arvind@google.com> wrote:

>Taking the example of DNS resolution, with a pre-resolve, the spec seems
>to state that domainLookupStart would be the time when the pre-resolve is
>actually started. But I think it makes more sense to talk in context of
>user navigation - a pre-resolve
> should be treated like a cache hit, so if a pre-resolve finished before
>navigationStart, we should report domainLookupStart and End == fetchStart.

I don't like the idea of treating a pre-resolve as a cache hit.  Having a
domainLookupStart/End == fetchStart in a pre-resolve makes it useless as a
metric as browsers become more aggressive about pre-resolving hostnames.
If you're a site owner and interested in your DNS provider's real-world
performance, having the browser effectively zero it out for a pre-resolve
means you're missing out on hostname resolutions that occurred for your
site as a user was navigating to it.  I'd want to know about this stuff
irrespective of whether or not it was perceived by the user.  The same
goes for TCP connections.

Mike