Byte size in *Timing (Was: detecting connection speed)

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 15:04 -0800, Ilya Grigorik wrote:

> There have been multiple requests in the past to expose the "bytes
> transferred" as part of Nav/Resource Timing API. While this is not a
> panacea, I do think it would be valuable and could address a lot of
> use cases we're discussing here... Or, to be more precise, give the
> developers the basic primitive to then build up their own abstractions
> to drive BW-estimation and similar use cases.

Btw, this came up again on the table during our f2f on Resource Timing
L2 [1]. I added a note about it in our dashboard after that [2]. So,
while we're not good at having a clear list of features we're
considering for .next, this one is definitively in it. Now, I don't
believe we considered it for Nav Timing yet.

Philippe

[1] http://www.w3.org/2013/11/14-webperf-minutes.html#item08
[2] http://www.w3.org/wiki/Web_Performance/Publications