From: public-web-perf-request@w3.org [mailto:public-web-perf-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Zhiheng Wang
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:29 PM
To: Nic Jansma
Cc: Kyle Simpson; public-web-perf@w3.org
Subject: Re: Resource Timing - What's included

   Digging up this thread again because I still find the current description about this particular issue needs
more clarification.

   "The PerformanceResourceTiming interface must include all resources fetched from the networking layer
by the current browsing context. Resources that are retrieved from the user agent's networking layer cache
must be included in the PerformanceResourceTiming interface."

   By "networking layer" here, we are referring to the HTTP layer as described in
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt, correct? This should be made clear so it differentiates itself with the network
layer and transport layer from the OSI model<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model>.

  By removing "duplicated contents" and loadEventStart/End from RT, we are more focusing on networking stuff.
I am not sure if this is a good direction since what we skip here could be significant to the overall performance
as well, e.g., responseEnd of an iframe could be quite different from the time it's loaded, while it's the later one that
blocks the overall page load.

cheers,
Zhiheng