Re: [RequestAnimationFrame] Processing model defined

From: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 11:25:51 -0400
To: James Robinson <jamesr@google.com>
CC: public-web-perf@w3.org
On 7/27/11 11:23 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> If the animation timeline is progressing, then pages presumably would
> like to know when the scripted animation should be "done" just like they
> want to know it for CSS transitions/animations. Right now the only way
> they can know that is to get a requestAnimationFrame "tick" with a time
> far enough into the animation, since the browser doesn't actually know
> when the page considers the animation to be done.

Maybe we should attack the problem from that angle?  Have a way when
making a requestAnimationFrame call to specify when that animation
should be considered "done" if the page wants, have jQuery update to do
that, and then use that information to either do a single tick past the
done time or drop the callback on the floor entirely once the done time
passes?