Re: [NavigationTiming] RFC: ticking navigationStart

I'd like to see navigationStart as a consistent mark of the time that the
user committed the navigation (just like it is in the Chrome and IE
implementations). Then the application can count on it as the beginning of
user-perceived latency. If desired, the application can use any other
details such as redirect time to filter out phases that they don't care
about.

That being said, if exposing navigationStart as currently implemented leads
to new privacy concerns, then we must come up with a contingency plan.
According to the Chrome security/privacy team's findings there are no new
privacy issues with navigationStart [1]. However, I haven't seen a response
from IE and FF on that thread yet. If a novel privacy exploit is
demonstrated, then I'd like to explore whether removing/guarding other
phases such as redirect and/or unload would allow us to keep navigationStart
as-is rather than jumping to mucking with navigationStart. Maybe a novel
privacy exploit has been demonstrated and I missed it; if so could we lay it
out on this list?

-Tony

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-perf/2010Oct/0057.html