From: Zhiheng Wang [mailto:zhihengw@google.com]
Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 1:30 AM
To: Anderson Quach
Cc: public-web-perf
Subject: Re: [Web Timing] Navigation Timing updates

   I've fixed the draft accordingly, including Sigbjørn's comments from another thread.
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM, Anderson Quach <aquach@microsoft.com<mailto:aquach@microsoft.com>> wrote:
Hi Zhiheng,

Thanks for working together and all the great progress we've made thus far. I have some additional feedback to incorporate with the working draft with respect to the edits from the 10/19/2910 draft of the Navigation Timing [1].

[Section 4.1 Introduction]
Recommended text for an informative statement stating:
User agents may perform internal processing in between timings, which allow for non-normative intervals between timings.

   I put it in 4.5, just above the graph. How does that sound?

[Section 4.2 The NavigationTiming Interface]
We should stick to the name for domContentLoaded. In this case the event names should be:
readonly attribute unsigned long long domContentLoadedEventStart<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#nt-dom-content-event-start>;
readonly attribute unsigned long long domContentLoadedEventEnd<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#nt-dom-content-event-end>;

[Section 4.5 Processing Model]
To reduce confusion, the recommendation here is to use either multi-level numbering. E.g. in Step 1, sub-steps can be 1.1, 1.2 and etc.

Step 8 reads:
If no domain lookup is required, go to step 11<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#step-connect-start>. Otherwise, immediately before a user agent starts the domain name lookup, record the time as domainLookupStart<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#nt-domain-lookupstart>.

Recommended Text:
If no domain lookup is required, go to step 10<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#step-connect-start>. Otherwise, immediately before a user agent starts the domain name lookup, record the time as domainLookupStart<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#nt-domain-lookupstart>.

   good catch!

Step 14.4
Should exclude the timings for unload and the navigationStart.

   either navigationStart should be excluded depends on where to put it, so I will leave it for now till we have a verdict. (I still need to send a summary
about this.) Good catch for unload.

cheers,
Zhiheng

Recommended Text:
Set all the attributes in window.performance.timing to 0 except redirectStart<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#nt-redirect-start>, redirectEnd<http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html#nt-redirect-end>, unloadEventStart, unloadEventEnd, and navigationStart.

[1] http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/NavigationTiming/Overview.html

Thanks!
Anderson Quach
IE Program Manager