Re: [TF-TD] experimenting with mapping JSON based data models to RDF triples

On 28 December 2015 at 17:22, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> To attract Web developers to working with the Web of Things we need simple
> notations for describing the properties, actions and events for things.
> Simple notations are also needed for Web of Things servers on resource
> constrained microcontrollers.
>
> Data models are one kind of metadata for things, and we also need a way to
> map these models to the underlying resource description framework (RDF).
>
> JSON-LD [1] is appealing due to its use of the very popular JavaScript
> Object Notation (JSON).  However, JSON-LD wasn’t designed with thing data
> models in mind. I have therefore been exploring the implications for
> translating JSON based data models to RDF triples.
>
> My experiments are in the form of a Web page that expresses the algorithm
> in JavaScript.
>
>     http://www.w3.org/2016/01/json2rdf.html

As an independent web developer I personally find it easier to work with
RDF triples than with JSON.  One single advantage of JSON imho is that it
does not require a parser when working with JS.  But adding a parser is one
like of code for me, so not a huge overhead.  But I suppose everyone will
have their own preferences.  So thanks for putting this together!