Re: Request for comments: Draft W3C Web of Things Interest Group Charter

On 26/09/14 11:40, Pablo Chacin wrote:

> Hi Dave
>
> > We will also be looking for people interested in championing
> particular aspects of work, e.g. as task force leaders, or as Interest
> Group Note editors. In the meantime, we welcome suggestions for task
> force topics..
>
> During the WoT Workshop, one of the topics we were discussing was the
> need for an standard runtime for the WoT. The topic was presented by
> Ricardo Morin and Andreas Harth.
>
> This runtime specification had two aspects:
> - an API for deploying and managing the lifecycle of code (scripts)
> into the devices
> - An API to allow the code running into a device access local
> resources (e.g. sensor data) and communicate with the exterior world
>
> I don't see this clearly reflected in the proposed topics. Maybe under
> the "Requirements for open markets of services for the Web of Things",
>  as an additional topic "Common Runtime for connected devices"

This is something that would be expected to emerge from the analysis of
use cases and requirements for open markets of services.

The role of scripting is highlighted in the 2nd paragraph at the start
of the draft charter:

> This includes the potential for using scripting languages like
> JavaScript, data encodings such as JSON and EXI, formats for data and
> metadata, including Linked Data, and protocols such as HTTP and
> WebSockets, to name just a few examples. JavaScript could be used for
> direct access to IoT devices from the browser, in service platforms in
> the cloud or at the network edge, and for device drivers in gateways
> that use IoT protocols to access devices, and web protocols to expose
> them to service platforms.

This illustrates that scripting could be used in several different
contexts, and your concept of a common runtime for connected devices is
just one of these if I understand you correctly.

Kind regards,