ΑΠ: Request for comments: Draft W3C Web of Things Interest Group Charter

Dear Dave, Pablo and all,

I would like to share with you a WoT use case that I have recently wrote as a candidate demonstrator for a WoT  that "provides interoperability (at multiple levels), as a global Web-based service, for the automated deployment of any self or third-party application and device in any existing or on-the-fly created smart environment". It might give another dimension to WoT use cases (or even to WoT itself). So here it is (in a draft form):

“John is visiting Greece for his summer holidays. He suffers from heart disease and a heart pacemaker is implanted from a University Hospital in US. The hospital uses pacemakers of a particular US vendor, which also provides the hospital the necessary monitoring devices used to monitor pacemakers’ status, heart status, etc. Such a monitoring device couples itself with the receiver/transmitter of the pacemaker (placed over the skin) in order to record medical or system-status information transmitted by the pacemaker. Monitoring device can be used to change the settings of pacemaker according to patients’ needs. Its use is critical for patients with permanent implanted pacemakers. Due to climate/environmental changes (extreme environmental heat), John needs to change the pace of his pacemaker as soon as possible, but a monitoring device of this kind of pacemaker is not available in the island hospital. John’s doctor in US has provided him with a pace transmitter device that is capable of getting information from the pacemaker but it requires an internet connection to transmit the recorded information on the other side i.e. to hospital’s monitoring system. A Web connection is available, the transmitter is plugged and connected, but the remote monitoring system in US is not available (malfunctioned or switched-off). Local doctor decide to look for another monitoring application available on the Web, capable of coupling with John’s transmitter and pacemaker. Through IoT-IaaS (Interoperability as a Service), a match is discovered (from those already registered in the IoT-IaaS registry) and the relative application is deployed in local hospital (doctor’s pc). The coupling of the device (John’s transmitter) and the application (third-party pacemaker monitoring software) is established and the readings from the pacemaker are now displayed on doctor’s monitor. The successful coupling is recorded in IoT-IaaS knowledge base for future reference.”

I would like to get your feedback on this…

Best Regards,

Konstantinos

Konstantinos Kotis, PhD
Post Doctoral Research Scientist
Department of Digital Systems, University of Piraeus.
Head of IT Department
Samos Regional Unit, North Aegean Regional Administration (NARA).

Greece
+30 6974822712
http://gr.linkedin.com/in/kotis