API for network optimization

From: Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 15:52:49 +0100
To: public-web-mobile@w3.org
Cc: igrigorik@google.com
Hi all,

Back at the Telcos@w3c breakout in TPAC, we ended the session discussing
how browser vendors and/or Web application developers could adapt their
network usage to the underlying network:
http://www.w3.org/2014/10/29-telcos-minutes.html#item04b

Ilya (copied) explained how the specific network configuration (e.g. its
response to particular pattern of network traffic) can affect
dramatically the final performance of the Web app.

While there are already ongoing discussions on an API to adapt to the
user's data plan [1], I wonder if there is also any interest in working
on an operator-neutral API that would let developers get some visibility
as to how they should behave on the network to obtain optimal
performances while reducing network load.

I'm interested in feedback on the value of pushing such work, as well as
on whether there is any realistic hope such information can be provided
by (at least some) network operators.

Thanks,

Dom

1.