Re: RfC: LCWD of Vibration API; deadline March 4

On 13 Feb 2014, at 01:09, tomomi.imura@nokia.com wrote:

> On 2/11/14 9:24 AM, "ext Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:
>
>> Please see below... the same applies for this group, as vibration is
>> highly relevant to mobile devices. People are encouraged to review and
>> respond individually, but it might also be nice to have a group response.
>
> I just wonder if there is any ways for a user to disable (mute) this
> feature, not entirely disabling a phone to vibrate, but per site.

This is up to the implementation, UAs could provide such a feature if they wish. OTOH, a sound approach is also what Michael described earlier.

> Or some sort of an UI indication so the user would know when the site
> buzzes.

I suggested something like that [1] when we discussed this earlier in the group. An implementation detail too, and varies depending on the platform conventions, interaction model etc.

> It may be confusing if a phone vibrate when you are not expecting.
> Usually, when your phone buzzes, you know you are getting a message etc.
> because you do see it coming on the notification system.
>
> And by the way, have you seen this?
> http://shkspr.mobi/blog/2014/01/malicious-use-of-the-html5-vibrate-api/

Dom’s comments in the post are worth reading [2]. The group considered this as a feedback in the process pre-LC, but no changes to the specification were deemed necessary as a result.

On a related note, and perhaps interestingly, it seems people don’t consider vibrating the device without the user’s permission a high-ranked concern [3].

Thanks,

-Anssi

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-device-apis/2013Oct/0136.html
[2] http://shkspr.mobi/blog/2014/01/malicious-use-of-the-html5-vibrate-api/#comment-19896