W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-mobile@w3.org > September 2013

Re: [minutes] September 25 call

From: Appelquist Daniel (UK) <Daniel.Appelquist@telefonica.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 16:08:02 +0100
To: "public-web-mobile@w3.org" <public-web-mobile@w3.org>
Message-ID: <CE68BAAA.2A421%daniel.appelquist@telefonica.com>
Late regrets for this call - I have had a conflict today but I will
normally be attending.

Dan


On 25/09/2013 16:00, "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>The minutes of our call today are available at:
>http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html

>
>and copied as text below.
>
>Thanks Natasha for scribing!
>
>Dom
>
>   [1]W3C
>
>      [1] http://www.w3.org/

>
>              Web and Mobile Interest Group Teleconference
>
>25 Sep 2013
>
>   [2]Agenda
>
>      [2]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2013Sep/0091.html

>
>   See also: [3]IRC log
>
>      [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-irc

>
>Attendees
>
>   Present
>          schuki, dom, jorabin, marcosc,LisaDeLuca_IBM, DanSun,
>          jsmanrique, stakagi, tobie
>
>   Regrets
>   Chair
>          Jo
>
>   Scribe
>          Natasha
>
>Contents
>
>     * [4]Topics
>         1. [5]Welcome
>         2. [6]IG Goals
>         3. [7]Modus Operandi
>         4. [8]Teleconferences
>         5. [9]Face to Face
>         6. [10]Github
>         7. [11]Closing The Gap Report
>         8. [12]Standards for Webon Mobile Roadmap
>         9. [13]AOB
>     * [14]Summary of Action Items
>     __________________________________________________________
>
>   <dom> Agenda:
>   [15]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2013S

>   ep/0091.html
>
>     [15]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2013Sep/0091.html

>
>Welcome
>
>   <Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> Hi everyone
>
>   schuki: hi! I am Natasha from GSMA
>
>   marcosc: hi! I am another co-chair, welcome everyone
>
>   <Rumoroso> hi, I am connecting to voip... I am Rumoroso, from
>   CTIC...
>
>   dom: i am also excited about being here, looking forward to the
>   work we will be doing
>
>   jorabin: thanks everyone
>
>IG Goals
>
>   <jorabin> [16]IG Charter
>
>     [16] http://www.w3.org/2013/07/webmobile-ig-charter.html

>
>   jorabin: let's go through the goals
>
>   <Jose_Crespo> Hi there
>
>   jorabin: mission: The mission of the Web and Mobile Interest
>   Group, part of the Mobile Web Initiative Activity, is to
>   accelerate the development of Web technology so that it becomes
>   a compelling platform for mobile applications and the obvious
>   choice for cross platform development.
>   ... this is our top level statement
>   ... we have been talking about the meaning of mobile / apps
>   ... it could be a waste of time to discuss this
>   ... but this is important as it helps us to scope the group
>   ... so it would be wise for us to define to help us work
>   towards this scope
>
>   schuki: i am good with discussing this but would be good to
>   have a cut off point
>   ... so we don't get into a long and arduous discussion and
>   don't get any work done!
>
>   <jorabin> to be clear, I think we should spend time discussing
>   meaning of "mobile" and "apps" as much as it is useful to
>   clarify our mission, namely "is to accelerate the development
>   of Web technology so that it becomes a compelling platform for
>   mobile applications and the obvious choice for cross platform
>   development."
>
>   marcosc: we should spend time on this if there is controversy,
>   but not spend too much time on this
>
>Modus Operandi
>
>   jorabin: we will be using the mailing list
>   ... public-web-mobile@w3c.org
>   ... we have also decided to use the W3C Tracke
>
>   <dom> [17]Trackerr for WebMob
>
>     [17] https://www.w3.org/Mobile/IG/track/

>
>   <dom> ACTION-30?
>
>   <trackbot> ACTION-30 -- Dominique Hazaël-Massieux to Add a note
>   about (or remove) 20% participation requirement from charter.
>   -- due 2013-09-25 -- OPEN
>
>   <trackbot> [18]http://www.w3.org/Mobile/IG/track/actions/30

>
>     [18] http://www.w3.org/Mobile/IG/track/actions/30

>
>   dom: we can use this with IRC
>   ... we can create action items with IRC
>
>   <dom> [19]Tracker documentation
>
>     [19] http://www.w3.org/2005/06/tracker/

>
>   <scribe> ACTION: Natasha, include tracker link onto New
>   Participants wiki page [recorded in
>   [20]http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action01]
>
>   <trackbot> Error finding 'Natasha,'. You can review and
>   register nicknames at
>   <[21]http://www.w3.org/Mobile/IG/track/users>.
>
>     [21] http://www.w3.org/Mobile/IG/track/users%3E.

>
>   dom: you can now subscribe to action items
>
>Teleconferences
>
>   jorabin: how long do we think we should be holding teleconfs?
>   ... might be hard to say right now
>   ... not sure on how much work we have
>   ... any views from the participants?
>   ... who can organise a poll to do teleconfs?
>
>   dom: me!
>
>   <jorabin> ACTION: Dom to organise a Doodle poll re
>   teleconference times [recorded in
>   [22]http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action02]
>
>   <trackbot> Created ACTION-39 - Organise a doodle poll re
>   teleconference times [on Dominique Hazaël-Massieux - due
>   2013-10-02].
>
>   <jorabin> RESOLUTION: chairs to determine exact timing of
>   upcoming teleconfs in lead up to TPAC
>
>Face to Face
>
>   jorabin: natasha?
>
>   <jorabin> first Face to Face at TPAC, Thursday 14th Friday 15th
>   Nov
>
>   [23]http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/TPAC_Face-to-Face

>
>     [23] http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/TPAC_Face-to-Face

>
>   <jorabin> (Natasha notes the topics that she will be
>   documenting in the wiki)
>
>Github
>
>   marcosc: we have mentioned this on the mailing list
>   ... we will do work on github with the documents
>   ... some people may not be familar with github
>   ... tobie has some great documentation for this
>   ... we will put the documents and related topic online and
>   manage this via repositories
>
>   <tobie> [24]http://tobie.github.io/specs-on-github/

>
>     [24] http://tobie.github.io/specs-on-github/

>
>   marcosc: at this point we are not in a position to know what
>   the actions are
>   ... but we will get there in the next few weeks
>
>   <jorabin> [25]Webmob Github
>
>     [25] https://github.com/w3c-webmob

>
>   tobie: i have another doc but it is targetted to testing
>   ... W3C has some good ones, but i don't have more info
>
>   dom: I'm not sure of anything
>
>   jorabin: if people have a proble please let the chairs know
>
>   <tobie> [26]https://help.github.com/

>
>     [26] https://help.github.com/

>
>   <jorabin> (Natasha will be writing about Github on our wiki)
>
>   schuki: i will make a wiki page, including both of tobie's
>   links
>
>Closing The Gap Report
>
>   dom: i sent some emails about this to the list
>   ... I managed a group looking into why the web isn't right for
>   developing apps
>   ... one of my high level expectations for this group is to
>   drive the agenda in this space
>   ... this includes best practices, specs etc.
>   ... I have also been adding all the interesting discussions
>   into the gap analysis
>   ... the Taxonomy of Mobile Apps is the document I am working on
>   ... I welcome feedback on this
>   ... I have 3 documents I have to submit to group
>   ... these are frameworks for what makes mobile platform good
>   and bad from user and provider perspective
>   ... the next is applying this to the web as a platform and see
>   where our weaknesses/strengths are and how to get better
>   ... the final one is an analysis of applications, news
>   consumption, media consumption, games etc (all categories) and
>   where the web is strong and where it is weak and how we can
>   improve this
>   ... i will be submitting large documents covering these
>   ... I hope these generate discussions so we can move forward on
>   this
>
>   jorabin: the final one of those follows on from Matt Kelly's
>   (Facebook) analysis right?
>
>   dom: yes, although we will want to start working from app
>   categories rather than specific apps
>
>   <jorabin> schuki notes that the work that Dom is doing is
>   really important for pushing back through W3C ...
>
>   <dom> [27]App Type research
>
>     [27]
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-coremob/2012Jul/0058.html

>
>Standards for Webon Mobile Roadmap
>
>   <jorabin> s/Webin/Web on/
>
>   dom: i have been writing this document and releasing every
>   quarter
>
>   <dom> [28]Standards for Web on Mobile Roadmap
>
>     [28] http://www.w3.org/Mobile/mobile-web-app-state/

>
>   dom: it goes through many specs, what implementations exist,
>   what is the status
>   ... the next iteration is scheduled for the end of the month
>   ... which is 5 days away!
>   ... I am using the Highlights to help flesh out the document
>   ... I want to know from this group how you can help me add to
>   this or change this
>   ... please let me know if you think something is missing or you
>   want to add to this
>   ... I can keep working on this, but if someone wants to take my
>   place I do not mind!
>   ... but I am fine with continuing it, I am happy to accept help
>   ... I want to know how to make it more useful
>
>   jorabin: what are the advantages of this group taking over the
>   document?
>
>   dom: if work comes from a W3C group rather than W3C staff the
>   work has a little more credibility
>   ... also if more people are involved then we can move faster as
>   there are more people to help
>   ... if the IG adopts the document it could get a balanced view
>
>   <jorabin> PROPOSED RESOLUTION: Webmob agrees to adopt
>   "Standards for Web on Mobile"
>
>   <LisaDeLuca_IBM> +1 support
>
>   +1 support also
>
>   <stakagi> +1
>
>   <Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> +1
>
>   <jsmanrique> +1
>
>   <jorabin> RESOLUTION: Webmob agrees to adopt "Standards for Web
>   on Mobile"
>
>   dom: i will let the group know when the next iteration is
>   published
>
>   <jorabin> noting that the next edition is under Dom's
>   supervision as it is next week
>
>AOB
>
>   dom: I would like to talk about the Taxonomy document
>   ... there has been little feedback on the list
>   ... please let me know if people want to continue working on it
>
>   <jorabin> [29]Apps Taxonomy
>
>     [29] https://github.com/w3c-webmob/apps-taxonomy

>
>   <dom> [30]Taxonomy of Mobile Application Platforms
>
>     [30] http://w3c-webmob.github.io/apps-taxonomy/taxonomy.html

>
>   <LisaDeLuca_IBM> Suggestion: whoever is maintaining the twitter
>   account @w3c_webmob should add links from our calls to twitter.
>   ex. github, tpac meeting, documents for review, etc.
>
>   marcosc: I haven't had time to review yet, let's give people
>   some more time to review
>
>   <dom> LisaDeLuca_IBM, that makes plenty of sense indeed
>
>   marcosc: the doc is short, so we should be able to read it
>   quickly
>
>   dom: the value of this document is when we discuss items such
>   as 'packaged apps', 'native apps', 'webapps' etc we know what
>   we are talking about
>   ... we understand what each other are referring and talking
>   about
>
>   <Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> I think document is very useful. I will
>   send feedback as soon as possible.
>
>   marcosc: I am struggling with the same thing with Sys Apps
>   ... we have been trying to do away with these definitions
>
>   dom: we may just need to clarify why we *don't* want to make a
>   distinction in some cases
>
>   marcosc: if we can stick to the 'one web' mantra that would be
>   good
>   ... I can add some things to this too over the next few weeks
>
>   jorabin: !
>   ... thanks all!
>
>   <Ig_Ibert_Bittencourt> Thanks
>
>Summary of Action Items
>
>   [NEW] ACTION: Dom to organise a Doodle poll re teleconference
>   times [recorded in
>   [31]http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action02]
>   [NEW] ACTION: Natasha, include tracker link onto New
>   Participants wiki page [recorded in
>   [32]http://www.w3.org/2013/09/25-webmob-minutes.html#action01]
>
>   [End of minutes]
>
>
>
>

Received on Wednesday, 25 September 2013 15:09:44 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:58:59 UTC