Re: Mobile, Web and Multi-device

Some great points made here! We may want to keep track of the work coming
in with the 'Web of Things' group, as if we expand our definition of
'mobile' we *may* go into this space; that's not a bad thing, just a thing!

Natasha

Natasha Rooney | Web Technologist | GSMA | nrooney@gsma.com | +44 (0) 7730
219 765 | @thisNatasha | Skype: nrooney@gsm.org
7th Floor, 5 New Street Square, London EC4A 3BF

On 17/09/2013 14:25, "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk> wrote:

>On 17/09/2013 12:09, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
>> Defining what a mobile device is a certainly a difficult endeavor, full
>> of semantic traps; although I think "phone, tablets, and their hybrids"
>> is probably a reasonable approximation of what most of us have in mind,
>> I think it's probably more useful to look why we talk about "mobile" in
>> the first place.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the main reason "mobile" is so popular is that it
>> combines a number of characteristics:
>> * always (or at least, very easily) connected
>> * easy to transport
>> * easy to start
>> * allowing rich interactions
>
>I have to admit that, of the above, only "easy to transport" really
>strikes me as intrinsically "mobile" (though then ultrabooks, new
>lightweight/thin laptops, etc would also be covered). Anything else also
>applies to most, if not all, traditional "desktop" machines (my PC is
>always on, and when it's not it takes seconds to start/wake, and yes I
>do seem to have a few rich interactions with a
>touchscreen/mouse/keyboard combo).
>
>Some time ago one aspect specific to the "mobile context" that was being
>discussed were sensors...geolocation, motion, light, etc. But again,
>those are now present in many laptops and even desktops, and have their
>uses there as well (for instance, even though it's sitting on my desk, I
>appreciate that I can have geolocation to convey my - static - location
>for sites to tailor their offerings/results).
>
>The distinction does feel rather artificial at this point. But I am
>interested in the more generalised multi-modal aspect here: content,
>services, interactions that adapt to differences in input and output
>modes (small screens, audio-only outputs, full-HD displays, mouse,
>touch, keyboard, voice commands, screenreaders, etc).

>--
>Patrick H. Lauke
>re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively
>[latin : re-, re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
>
>www.splintered.co.uk | www.photographia.co.uk
>http://redux.deviantart.com | http://flickr.com/photos/redux/
>twitter: @patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke

This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential. If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email or call +44 207 356 0600 and highlight the error.