Re: Mobile, Web and Multi-device

On 17/09/2013 12:09, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Defining what a mobile device is a certainly a difficult endeavor, full
> of semantic traps; although I think "phone, tablets, and their hybrids"
> is probably a reasonable approximation of what most of us have in mind,
> I think it's probably more useful to look why we talk about "mobile" in
> the first place.
>
> As far as I can tell, the main reason "mobile" is so popular is that it
> combines a number of characteristics:
> * always (or at least, very easily) connected
> * easy to transport
> * easy to start
> * allowing rich interactions

I have to admit that, of the above, only "easy to transport" really
strikes me as intrinsically "mobile" (though then ultrabooks, new
lightweight/thin laptops, etc would also be covered). Anything else also
applies to most, if not all, traditional "desktop" machines (my PC is
always on, and when it's not it takes seconds to start/wake, and yes I
do seem to have a few rich interactions with a
touchscreen/mouse/keyboard combo).

Some time ago one aspect specific to the "mobile context" that was being
discussed were sensors...geolocation, motion, light, etc. But again,
those are now present in many laptops and even desktops, and have their
uses there as well (for instance, even though it's sitting on my desk, I
appreciate that I can have geolocation to convey my - static - location
for sites to tailor their offerings/results).

The distinction does feel rather artificial at this point. But I am
interested in the more generalised multi-modal aspect here: content,
services, interactions that adapt to differences in input and output
modes (small screens, audio-only outputs, full-HD displays, mouse,
touch, keyboard, voice commands, screenreaders, etc).

Patrick H. Lauke