Re: UX gap, was Re: How can HTML5 compete with Native?

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 6:08 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Monday, October 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM, Tobie Langel wrote:
> > There's lots of small things and also higher level components which make prototyping a breeze.
> >
> > iOS: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/userexperience/conceptual/mobilehig/Bars.html
> Ok, I see a few things but nothing mind blowing that isn’t covered by something like Topcoat or Bootstrap (or what am I missing here?)… I guess having better flexbox and grid layout support would be helpful - but the UI components seem to be covered by HTML.

That's precisely the problem, imho. You have to pick a UI library/framework. Then you're kind of stuck with it. Components from this library most probably don't match default ones, so design consistency is hard to achieve.

These different library/frameworks also don't work together at all.

So if you've picked library A and need a component x of library B, you're either bound to re-implement it, or will end up bloating your app by adding both libs to it (plus you might bump into weird compat issues).

Finally, high level components in native platforms can be wired-up really easily to data models (using MVC-like patterns) which means that changes to the data will propagate immediately to the UI.

While such solutions also exist as JS frameworks (Angular, Ember, ReactJS, etc.), you're just adding another level of buying into a framework on top of the UI one you might have picked.
> But seriously, is it just the ability to do the drag and drop application design in some IDE that you are referring to?

No.

--tobie