Re: Web Intents W3C Editor's Draft 31 January 2012 - Review comments

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com> wrote:
> Great job Greg.
>
> I'd like to see the intent element section brought closer in line with
> HTML5's spec semantics.
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#the-canvas-element

Thanks, Charles. I hadn't seen that form. I'll switch to it.

> With the intent registration tag, the only Category would be "Embedded
> content".
> Include in the definition that the <intent> may have fallback content.

> The WebIDL on the constructor is a little dated. I believe that "raises" and
> "in" were taken out of current IDL.
> [Constructor(in string action, in string type, in optional any
>         data, in optional sequence<Transferable> transferList, in optional
> dictionary<string> extraData) raises DOMException]
>
> I want to confirm that this IDL was intended; my understanding earlier was
> that it would be:
> [Constructor(DOMString action, DOMString type, optional any data, optional
> sequence<Transferable> transferList),
> Constructor(DOMString action, DOMString type, optional any data, optional
> Dictionary<DOMString> extraData)]

I brought this up at the end of the thread about extras. What are
folks' opinions about using two constructors vs. having one with more
optional parameters? I favor having the one so that ports and extra
metadata can be mixed, even though it'll lead to an empty array
parameter sometimes.

> interface Intent {} has a typo in getData. "DOMSTring" [sic] should be
> "DOMString".

Fixing...

> Shouldn't that interface have port MessagePorts[] or otherwise have a
> getPorts method?

Yes! Thank you. I'd forgotten that.

OK, pushing to repo now...