Re: Adding fields for transfer map to Intent constructor

On 3/12/2012 2:00 PM, Greg Billock wrote:
> Note:
>
> Web Messaging:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/postmsg/
>
> specifically: http://dev.w3.org/html5/postmsg/#posting-messages
>
> See also the structured clone algorithm:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/common-dom-interfaces.html
>
> specifically: http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/common-dom-interfaces.html#transferable-objects
>
> Charles, I'm interpreting those documents as saying that the preferred
> usage for ports is now
>
> postMessage(port, [port]);

That's only the case for the ArrayBuffer Transferable.

You could do postMessage(null, [port]) when just transferring message
channels.

A messaging channel is not going to work without transfer.
An array buffer can just copy, instead of transferring, as it's just a
memory region, not a bi-directional event channel.

> Is that also your sense of where the evolution is going? In that
> world, we would be supporting the 'ports' field for some time, but
> we'd at that point move to also making all transferables available in
> the structured clone payload as well. I think that the interface I'm
> suggesting is pretty friendly to that evolution.

Yes, that's my sense of things.

-Charles