Re: rewrite of section 4

Hi Jean-Claude,

On Jun 7, 2012, at 18:15 , Jean-Claude Dufourd wrote:
> Here is a rewrite of section 4 (before 4.1), in an attempt to make more concrete my comments on the current state of the spec and its single focus on the UA:
> http://perso.enst.fr/~dufourd/wia_integrated.htm

I'd earmarked this for later reading since you'd mentioned it as being important from a "Web architecture" point of view.

Having looked at this more closely, I am unconvinced as to the Web Intents Agent versus User Agent distinction that you are creating. I fully understand the value of potentially having the UA delegate part of intents handling (as well as many other things) to another service, be it the OS, a local network tier, a Weave service, etc. but that is totally immaterial. All of that processing happens in a black box. Whether a UA delegates its Intents handling to a third party or not, the conformance product is still the UA.

From a Web architecture point of view, it has long been the accepted wisdom that how a UA is split does not matter in the least. For instance, browsers like Opera Mini or Kindle Silk are considered to be full-fledged UAs despite most of their processing taking place on a remote server.

I find that creating the WIA/UA distinction adds confusion to the text, while not at all helping with conformance. So I'd rather we not go there. That distinction may however have its place in a document describing a specific way of effecting such a split, e.g. perhaps one of the webinos drafts if applicable.