Re: questions on the April 11th draft

Thanks for the feedback.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Jean-Claude Dufourd
<jean-claude.dufourd@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
> Dear editors,
>
> In section 2.1, the following text seems to have a problem:
> A Service is a web page which can handle an Intent, possibly returning a
> piece of data to the calling Client page. Again, the User Agent may have
> ways to deliver Intents to Services which are not web pages.
> The first sentence says "a service is a web page..."
> The second sentence says "services which are not web pages".
> Seems like a contradiction to me.
> I suspect the first sentence should be "inverted": a web page which can
> handle an intent is a service
> Is that right ?

Yes, that's more correct. The spec doesn't really directly deal with
non-web-content services, but I like that wording better.

> In section 3.2 " The Intent object models a particular task which can be
> requested by handled by client pages."
> Would that be " The Intent object models a particular task which can be
> requested to be handled by client pages." ?

Oops! Thanks.

> Language in the last example and elsewhere makes me wonder about the
> Page A is loaded.
> Then intent B is registered.
> Then page A is unloaded.
> What is the status of intent B ?
> If intent B is still "on", is page A reloaded upon a successful request to
> intent B ?

So if A invokes an intent, which is then delivered to another page, if
A is unloaded (i.e. the user closes the tab) that need not close the
service page. Ultimately the policies there about which tabs or
contexts are coupled is up to the user agent to control, but in
general, delivering an intent to a new context is really a new context
-- the invoking page (A) can disappear and the new context can still
be just fine.

For inline disposition, Chromium code currently doesn't really offer a
way to close the invoking container without closing the service
container as well. For window disposition, we do.

That kind of page lifecycle is something that needs work in the User
Agent Behavior section.

-Greg