Re: UPnP service implementing an intent

Web Intents as an API is a way for clients to request particular functions
of generic services and receive replies (or, viewed the other way, for
services to receive requests from arbitrary clients and provide replies).

There's a mechanism in our proposal for web pages to indicate to the
browser that they can service intents, but that is not the limit of what
entities could participate in the ecosystem. It is equally possible for the
browser to provide built-in services or for those services to be registered
by and handled by OS-resident applications.

I don't have a firm grasp on the scope of the use cases for home networking
discovery, but the intents API would be sufficient to, for example, send a
request to a particular piece of attached equipment and get a response.

Example use case:
A web app wanted to play a song; it could prepare an intent payload with
the song and issue a "play" intent.

navigator.startActivity(new Intent("play", "audio/mp3", song));

The browser consults its UPNP directory (I know nothing about how that
works, but presumably the browser could keep track of registered attached
devices and their capabilities.) It finds two devices that know how to play
MP3s and presents the user with a picker. The user chooses to play the song
on one of them, and the song plays.

I'm sure this simple example doesn't capture the full scope of the problem.
Perhaps it shows why there is hope the problems are related, though?