Re: SOAP and XML support

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:25:30PM +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:

> > > I don't think XML has a monopoly on automation.
> >
> > There's a big jumble of isolated capabilities from many providers that XML
> > can help smooth over and bring into the larger network that is the Web.
> > There's much more than that, but it's this broken ground that needs to be
> > fixed.
>
> Sorry for the heresy, but I'd suggest that in general XML,
> specifically the profusion of application-specific formats are part of
> the problem. To make the Web more joined-up in its services will
> require more than low-level syntax conventions (they're useful, but
> nothing like sufficient).

You know I agree with you Danny, but let's not go there; we know how
that debate ends.

I think it's quite reasonable to say that the description language
should support both XML and non-XML resource representations, as well as
supporting XML-specific features like namespace dispatching (RDF Forms
does this) or XML schemas (though I hope we can avoid that, as
mentioned).

Mark.
--
Mark Baker.  Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA.          http://www.markbaker.ca