Re: Connect Bluetooth Device

________________________________
From: François Beaufort 🇫🇷 <fbeaufort@google.com>
Sent: 03 November 2016 11:52
To: Rob Moran
Cc: David Baier; public-web-bluetooth@w3.org
Subject: Re: Connect Bluetooth Device

On Thu, Nov 3, 2016 at 10:28 AM, Rob Moran <Rob.Moran@arm.com<mailto:Rob.Moran@arm.com>> wrote:

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

Is there a specification for a UA to populate the proposed referringDevice object?

Yes. The Web Bluetooth specification has been updated to include the refferingDevice object at https://webbluetoothcg.github.io/web-bluetooth/#dom-bluetooth-referringdevice

Here's a public sketch as well that was used at the time: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jFCTyq84T2fLc8ZhxorTz3u_gCk59hp17EmkFgaDQ2c/edit

[RM] Ah, this is the useful bit. Are there plans to break out the interfaces mentioned in steps 3/4 to allow Eddystone to launch other UAs or have other apps launch chrome with a referringDevice set?

I assume the first implementation will be to securely pass the device from physical web to chrome, but has any thought been given to making this device injection possible with other applications (a flag when starting chrome populated with the device handle, perhaps?). It would also allow me to specify a referringDevice in the Bleat project (perhaps as a command line switch).

Cheers,

Rob