W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-web-and-tv@w3.org > February 2014

[api] minutes - 05 February 2014

From: Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 01:18:08 +0900
Message-ID: <52F26440.7090603@w3.org>
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
available at:
 http://www.w3.org/2014/02/05-webtv-minutes.html

also as text below.

Daniel

---

   [1]W3C

      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                   Web and TV IG - Media APIs TF call

05 Feb 2014

   [2]Agenda

      [2]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-and-tv/2014Feb/0000.html

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2014/02/05-webtv-irc

Attendees

   Present
          Kaz, Giuseppe, Skim, Giri, Sheau, Daniel, Wook, Bin,
          Cyril, Mark_Vickers

   Regrets
          JC_Verdie

   Chair
          Bin

   Scribe
          Daniel

Contents

     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]action items
         2. [6]Follow up discussion on Tuner API group
     * [7]Summary of Action Items
     __________________________________________________________

   <scribe> scribe: Daniel

   <scribe> scribenick: ddavis

   Bin_Hu: 2 weeks ago we had a short meeting and we have some
   outstanding items, so let's review them.

   <scribe> Meeting: Web & TV IG: Media APIs Task Force

action items

   <kaz_> [8]tracker

      [8] https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/products/7

   Bin_Hu: We can close the first action item and open a new one
   at another time if necessary.

   <kaz_> close action-125

   <trackbot> Closed action-125.

   Bin_Hu: Closing action item 125

   <kaz_> action-178?

   <trackbot> action-178 -- Giuseppe Pascale to Start editing a
   req. document for this tf -- due 2013-12-18 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [9]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/actions/178

      [9] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/track/actions/178

   <kaz_> bin: looking at the wiki

   <giuseppep> use cases
   [10]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases

     [10] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases

   <giuseppep> req:
   [11]http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Requirements

     [11] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Requirements

   <kaz_> bin: the wiki and the spreadsheet are up to date

   Bin_Hu: The wiki and spreadsheet are up to date
   ... I think we can summarise what we have and then just point
   to the raw material that we already have.
   ... Any objections?

   No objections

   Bin_Hu: We will make a summary with cross-reference links to
   the gap analysis/requirements spreadsheet.

   <CyrilRa> @kaz: I am on call

   Bin_Hu: Looks like we have a decision on what to do for our
   Note.
   ... Looking at the wiki, I'm looking at the history of our
   activity.
   ... We had use case collection started in April and were all
   submitted by August.
   ... So it takes about four months to collect use cases.
   ... After that, it took a couple of conference calls to decide
   which use cases to include.
   ... Then one month to finalise the requirements and another
   month to finalise the gap analysis.
   ... The gap analysis was finished in December in a call on 18th
   December.
   ... We're now at the stage of concluding the Note.
   ... So in reality, about 6 months from concluding use cases to
   publishing a Note.
   ... Altogether about 10 months for the whole process from
   collecting initial use cases.
   ... So maybe the next iteration could be completed by the end
   of this year (2014). If so, we can avoid the end-of-year
   holiday disruption.
   ... Maybe we could aim for TPAC this year which would give us a
   buffer before the holiday.

   +1

   giuseppep: It depends on the input we get.
   ... It's clear that we're not working on specs, so what we do
   is a starting point for discussion.
   ... Based on how many new inputs there are next time, we could
   proceed faster or slower.

   Bin_Hu: I agree it's a moving target but we should have a rough
   plan.

   <kaz> [ note: our current charter expires on 20 Feb. 2015 ]

   Bin_Hu: Overall, the schedule is a very rough estimation but
   what is a realistic deadline for submitting use cases?

   giuseppep: After the workshop is good so maybe say mid-April?

   Bin_Hu: Mid-April sounds good.

   giuseppep: I can add that to the wiki

   Bin_Hu: OK, so we should get input after the workshop in March
   and we can then see if the schedule is realistic.

   giuseppep: So keep the timing roughly the same as last time?

   Bin_Hu: If we get some use cases by the middle of April I'd
   suggest that sometime in June or July we can finalise the use
   cases.
   ... Then in August we can finish the gap analysis.

   ddavis: Things tend to be quiet during July/August

   Bin_Hu: Let's say end of September, then.

   +1

   <giuseppep>
   [12]https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs#Iterations_an
   d_Timeline

     [12]
https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs#Iterations_and_Timeline

   Bin_Hu: We should be in a good position to cope with the two
   big holiday periods.
   ... Any other comments?

   gmandyam: I see the wiki hasn't been updated since November.

   <kaz> [ use case wiki at:
   [13]https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases ]

     [13] https://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Media_APIs/Use_Cases

   giuseppep: We're keeping it open for finishing the current
   work. We're done with it but have to conclude it (publish the
   Note).
   ... We need to allow new use cases to be added for the next
   iteration.

   s/sluse case wikil//

   Bin_Hu: And a reminder that the schedule is a moving target and
   may be changed.
   ... So closing action item 183.

Follow up discussion on Tuner API group

   Bin_Hu: Everything has been quiet since the new year.

   giuseppep: The main question is what is the output of this
   discussion.

   <kaz> close action-183

   <trackbot> Closed action-183.

   giuseppep: Is the Tuner API the only use case so far?

   <kaz> ddavis: multiscreen advertisement and water marking?

   ddavis: Getting confused...

   <kaz> giuseppep: I meant the ones for the first iteration

   Bin_Hu: There may be more gaps than that.

   <Sheau> not just watermarking but also fingerprinting.

   Bin_Hu: Some of those gaps are address by their relevant specs.
   ... We need to communicate with the relevant groups and fill
   gaps in existing specs.
   ... And also look at where we need new specs, for example with
   a community group.

   giuseppep: If we do this exercise we should make sure we have
   proper follow up.

   Bin_Hu: Some of the discussion was on the name of the group.

   giuseppep: I think we can do this discussion and finalise the
   Task Force note in parallel.

   Bin_Hu: I think Kaz is going to find out how to create the
   community group.

   giuseppep: I think it's OK even if you're not a W3C member to
   create a community group. When 5 people have joined it begins.

   kaz: We also record the final decision to create the group in
   these minutes.

   <kaz> [14]Community Groups site (click "START A COMMUNITY
   GROUP" to create a CG :)

     [14] http://www.w3.org/community/

   ddavis: Yes, there was unfinished discussions about the naming

   giuseppep: So we should figure out the scope first and then the
   naming.

   <kaz> +1

   giuseppep: If I remember correctly, the scope is to control a
   device through a web API.

   Sheau: There was an issue about the definition of "tuner".
   ... In the IP era, the concept of tuner has evolved greatly. So
   we need to make the definition clear.

   giuseppep: If I have an HTML5-based API how do I integrate the
   video tuner into my application?

   Sheau: We should establish whether tuner is referred to in the
   more traditional RF way or in a more general way.

   giuseppep: If we make things too generic it's more difficult to
   solve the problem.
   ... It's easier to have a group focussed on a specific problem.

   Bin_Hu: Everything is moving very fast so if we limit it to
   broadcast tuner only we may not attract more participants to
   this group.
   ... That could limit interest in the group.
   ... If we can expand the scope to a logical tuner that can
   accept all video streams, we may get more people to
   participate.
   ... Set-top boxes can also have the role of a tuner.
   ... The user doesn't care if the signal is from IPTV or
   broadcast.
   ... Also, we won't have much more difference from the
   application developer's difference.

   giuseppep: What is the concept we're trying to model, is it
   channels?

   Bin_Hu: Maybe it's a TV channel, maybe it's from an IPTV box.

   ddavis: Mark_Vickers says it's a naming issue - tuners and
   channels may not be hardware tuners only and traditional TV
   channels only.

   Sheau: I agree with Mark's statement.
   ... We have multiple interfaces to media sources.
   ... There may be addition sources - how can we be able to
   compare hardware tuners to software aggregators that have
   logical channels?
   ... We should have a way to identify these.

   giuseppep: I agree that it should be more generic and we have a
   naming problem.
   ... How can we put this in words to identify the scope.

   Sheau: Are you thinking about media selection that Kaz
   mentioned?

   giuseppep: I don't know the best way to phrase this.

   Bin_Hu: Daniel, maybe you can capture what Mark mentioned?
   ... How about you make a record capturing the essence that the
   scope is a more general tuner api.
   ... You can put it in the Task Force wiki.
   ... Then in the next conference call we can agree on the scope.
   ... We'll probably have different ideas for names but we can
   come to an agreement.

   <scribe> ACTION: ddavis to put scope of Tuner API into task
   force wiki. [recorded in
   [15]http://www.w3.org/2014/02/05-webtv-minutes.html#action01]

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-185 - Put scope of tuner api into
   task force wiki. [on Daniel Davis - due 2014-02-12].

   Bin_Hu: In the next meeting, we'll have 2 things - review draft
   of Note, and discussion of scope of new Tuner API community
   group.
   ... Any other business?
   ... I think we can adjourn the meeting.
   ... An effective call today. Talk to you in two weeks...

   giuseppep: Daniel, if you write something, please send it to
   the mailing list so we can discuss it there.

   Bin_Hu: Thanks all. Bye

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: ddavis to put scope of Tuner API into task force
   wiki. [recorded in
   [16]http://www.w3.org/2014/02/05-webtv-minutes.html#action01]

   [End of minutes]
Received on Wednesday, 5 February 2014 16:18:48 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 17:57:20 UTC