RE: [apis] Gap Analysis on Requirement 18 "Channel Identification"

From: Sung Hei Kim <shkim@etri.re.kr>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 09:12:09 +0000
To: public-web-and-tv IG <public-web-and-tv@w3.org>
CC: 강신각 <sgkang@etri.re.kr>, 허미영 <myhuh@etri.re.kr>

Dear All,

We have briefly survey some related standards for Requirement 18 "Channel Identification".

1. Requirement : 18. Channel Identification

2. Related Specs:

   - W3C TV Broadcast URI Schemes Requirements  (http://www.w3.org/TR/TVWeb-URI-Requirements)

   - Uniform Resource Identifiers for Television Broadcasts, IETF RFC2838
   - The TV-Anytime Content Reference Identifier (CRID), IETF RFC4078
   - Open IPTV Forum – Release 1 DAE Reference Guide, OIPF-T2-R1-DAE_Reference_Guide v1.0-2010-03-11
   - Broadcast and On-line Services: Search, select, and rightful use of content on personal storage systems ("TV-Anytime Phase 1"); Part 4: Content referencing TVA-CR(ETSI TS102 822-4 v1.1.2)
   - SmartTV Alliance, Technical Specification V3

3. Identified Gaps:

   - W3C has published TVWeb URI requirement on how to express TV Broadcast URL in 2000.(http://www.w3.org/TR/TVWeb-URI-Requirements#Requirements)
   - Regarding TV URI, IETF RFC2838 has defined "tv" URI. However, since channel frequency is different for each countries, "tv:3" form of URI has been obsoleted.
   - IETF RFC 4078 has defined "crid://" type of URL scheme. However, this scheme is for IP environment not for local tuner.
   - OIPF-T2-R1-DAE_Reference_Guide v1.0-2010-03-11 has shown on how to control channel with JavaScript APIs. According to that, it has defined Channel class with the channel identification in form of a (Integer)sourceID.
   - Since we are defining how to control the "local" tuner, I think it would be possible to use integer number with "tv://" URI.
   - Although using integer number can cause broadcast frequency problem as indicated in RFC2383, the broadcasting service through tuner is a regional service. Then, this may not be a problem.

Regards,

Hyun Wook & Sung Hei Kim