[tt] Minutes of Timed Text TF teleconference, 11 July 2013

Available at:

Also as text below.

Thank you to Kaz for the note-taking hand-holding and tidying up.




      [1] http://www.w3.org/

                               - DRAFT -

                   Web and TV IG - Timed Text TF Call

11 Jul 2013


      [2] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Tt/Timed_Text_Meeting_5

   See also: [3]IRC log

      [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/07/11-webtv-irc


          Kaz, Daniel, Graham, Pierre, Glenn, Mark, Mike




     * [4]Topics
         1. [5]Daniel is joining
         2. [6]Input to Timed Text WG charter revision process
         3. [7]Improve the structure of Timed_Text_Efforts
         4. [8]Ecosystem drawing
         5. [9]Next call
     * [10]Summary of Action Items

   <kaz> kaz: ok to invite Mike Dolan to this call?

   <kaz> pal: ok

   <kaz> (Mike's participation is approved)

Daniel is joining

   <kaz> ddavis: 50% Team Contact :)

   <Mark_Vickers> Welcome, Daniel. Glad to have you with us!

   Thank you!

Input to Timed Text WG charter revision process


     [11] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Tt/TTWG_Consensus_Input

   <scribe> scribenick: ddavis

   <pal> proposed additional text at


   pal: I'm going to add this proposed text to the Consensus Input
   ... The change is now added (as point 5)
   ... Something that was not perhaps clear is that the Web & TV
   IG was supporting the addition of WebVTT deliverables to the
   TTWG deliverables
   ... so maybe there should be a sentence added to that effect.
   ... Showing that we support WebVTT as part of the deliverables
   for the Timed Text WG.

   <kaz> Mark_Vickers: good place to do that

   pal: Again, I'm going to make this addition to the Consensus
   Input now.
   ... Has now been added to the paragraph before the numbered
   ... If there are no objections, I'll post this back to the
   Interest Group reflector
   ... and hopefully the IG can then forward this to W3C Team.
   ... Thank you - I think this closes one of our work items.

   <pal> next agenda topic:

     [13] http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/Tt/Timed_Text_Efforts

   <scribe> ACTION: pal to post the Consensus Input to the
   Interest Group reflector [recorded in

   <trackbot> Created ACTION-121 - Post the Consensus Input to the
   Interest Group reflector [on Pierre-Anthony Lemieux - due

Improve the structure of Timed_Text_Efforts

   pal: There has been the suggestion that this wiki page could be
   better organised.

   Mark_Vickers: I have some ideas and would be happy to work with
   you offline
   ... to update this page.

   mike: It seems there's a tangle in this process.

   pal: Only members can edit the wiki.

   Mark_Vickers: I'll push to get that resolved so that I can edit

   mike: We have some private email with ideas that could really
   improve this page.

   pal: Thanks - I'm happy to help as well.

Ecosystem drawing

   pal: Next item is "ecosystem drawing"
   ... How do all those captions out there end up on the web, etc?
   ... I put up a link to an overview of the caption workflow that
   EBU and others use.
   ... It might be good for this group to create a similar
   illustration of how timed text is created and ultimately put on
   the web.
   ... I'm spending time on it but if someone else has a strong
   opinion on it, I'm happy.
   ... I'd like to hear other opinions - is it needed? Is it
   needed here? Is it needed urgently?

   mark_vickers: I think it's useful to have to shed light on some
   of the difficulties we're facing
   ... but I think people in the TT WG specifically are probably
   aware of this already.

   pal: Any other comments about this?
   ... No? OK. Any other new topics?

Next call

   pal: Hearing none and having gone through the agenda, let's
   choose a date for our next meeting.
   ... I think 2pm is the best compromise. How about August 1st?

   <kaz> (that is August 2, 6am in Japan)

   pal: This timeslot was made to try to accommodate everyone
   including Sylvia in Australia, so I think we should give this
   timeslot another try.
   ... so let's try August 1st, 2pm Los Angeles time.
   ... Thank you every - look forward to speaking to you again in
   2 weeks.

   <kaz> [ adjourned ]

Summary of Action Items

   [NEW] ACTION: pal to post the Consensus Input to the Interest
   Group reflector [recorded in

   [End of minutes]

    Minutes formatted by David Booth's [16]scribe.perl version
    1.138 ([17]CVS log)
    $Date: 2013-07-11 21:46:40 $

     [16] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
     [17] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Received on Thursday, 11 July 2013 21:55:47 UTC