Re: Temporal Functions in HTML5?

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:25 AM, GAUSMAN, PAUL <pg2483@att.com> wrote:
> Does anyone find anything in the HTML5 documentation that addresses temporal issues?
>
> Examples would be:
> *       A time reference (absolute and/or relative,)

There is requestAnimationFrame, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/animation-timing/ . It is implemented in some
browsers and near release in others:
http://caniuse.com/#feat=requestanimationframe . It provides timing
controls for script-based animations/

> *       Time-related cues and/or scripting,

The <track> element provides cues and scripting functionality in
relation to the timeline of a media element, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-track-element.html#the-track-element .

> *       A clock selection capability,

There is discussion about allowing other clocks than just the
wallclock timing for requestAnimationFrame, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/animation-timing/ .

> *       Independent clock functions (e.g. a clock instance just for an app or HTML5 based experience, with start/stop/reset/set capabilities,) timing parameters within tags, time driven push functions, bidirectional event timing functions (logging time between inbound and outbound events,)

There is also setTimeout and setInterval for timing events and the
execution of functions. There is no feature that I know of that times
the tags - and I don't quite understand the use case for it.

> *       Etc.,
> *       Anything that addressing timing in a multi-device, multi-app, multi-user experience framework.

These are all forms of distributed applications for which
synchronization is indeed hard. You will likely need protocols to
solve such synchornization issues - markup alone will not help.

> Supporting functions might include inter-object/inter-event/inter-device messaging and WebRTC interactive functions.

The WebRTC spec allows to exchange data as well as media streams
directly between peer browsers. You might want to check out the
PeerData API, see
http://dev.w3.org/2011/webrtc/editor/webrtc.html#peer-to-peer-data-api
.

> Existing functionality which could use this includes Closed Captioning and playlist execution but these are just the tip of the tip of the iceberg compared to the potential emerging applications, like multi-device, multi-user, multi-location user experiences, VR, AR, etc.

Closed captions are a solved issue in HTML5. We have the <track>
element for it with @kind=captions, see
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/the-track-element.html#the-track-element .

HTH.

Regards,