[profile] Profiling criteria

From: Giuseppe Pascale <giuseppep@opera.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 09:15:42 +0100
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
Hi all,
before starting to "profile" the technologies that will go into our
document, I think is important to establish some criteria that will guide
us in the profiling work.
In short we need the answer to the question: "how do we decide if a given
technology is to be included in our profile"?

I think we need to consider at least the following:

- wide adoption on the web.
- the referenced spec must have sufficient stability/maturity
("sufficient" to be defined ;) )
- avoid overlap: we should not be referencing multiple technologies that
cover exactly the same set of use case.
- implementable across all range of devices.
- minimal profile (try to keep the profile small)

(btw once we agree on the criteria these should be included in the design
goals)

Exceptions to the rules should be possible but limited.

I feel that the rules above may lead us to exclude some technologies that
while widely adopted in some regions/ecosystems do not match all the
criteria listed above.

I was then wondering if we should proceed as follow: design a "base
profile" with all the pieces we agree are absolutely needed. Once this
work is done, one or more extended profiles may be defined for use in
other scenarios.

Thoughts?

--
Giuseppe Pascale