Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] ISSUE-34: ViewPort-Support

Hi Duncan,

I think what you are describing is highly interesting: you are
analysing how to overlay image maps onto video such that you can click
on regions and hyperlink to another Web resource. I believe this is
indeed still a challenge. It is possible to realise this using the
<track> element on <video> with a @kind=metadata and providing the
hyperlinks and their regions in a WebVTT file in some format, then
using JavaScript to render the clickable regions onto the video. This
could be done by rendering the video into a <canvas> and using image
maps on the resulting canvas images. Then all the image map related
functionality is available to the moving images, including CSS and you
could zoom into a region of the video upon the click. I'd be curious
about such an implementation and how it performs, actually.

I don't think you can do it without a <canvas> since the <map> tag
only applies to images and not video. We could consider requesting a
@usemap attribute on video and extending the use of <map> to <video>,
but we only get fixed regions clickable in this way, not dynamically
changeable over the duration of the video.

I wonder if instead it might be worth analysing if we can come up with
a <track> kind that allows overlaying hyperlinkable regions onto the
video?

Regards,
Silvia.